Mufasa's Den

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Air beats Water

No silly, I'm not talking about that stupid movies from Deepa Mehta. This is more about Overclocking. I got the Thermaltake Bigwater 735 kit from Newegg. For a start it was missing a nut to tighten the tube connection to one of the outlets. But still I decided to take the risk, remember a liquid cooled system means there's quite a bit of liquid flowing around your electronic components, and test the system out.

So out went my thermaltake bigtyphoon vx and in came the Bigwater 735. The setup was quite easy even though my ThermalTake Shark case wasn't ideal for connecting the components. But all said and done, the temps on my processor actually went up by about 6c. That's quite a bit of let down. Also due to the absence of fans over the PWMIC and Chipset their temps were also reaching 58-60c. Dismantling this setup was a mess though. Once your system is completely filled with the liquid you have to be carefull while uninstalling. With some spills and splashes I was able to dismantle the setup and was able to setup an RMA with newegg.

Now I'm back to aircooling. I'm convinced now that chips are cooled better by having a good airflow through the case. When the YateLoons arrive next week I'll have replaced all the stock fans with the YateLoons and these fans should move more air through the case than I'm doing now. My goal is to get this Opteron OC to 3.0Ghz. I'm at around 2.8G with a voltage supplied to the core, vcore, being 1.5V.

So there u go folks. Air beats Water

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • Wow! (although I'm going to sound mentally retarded) With all the technical mumbo jumbo it is as if you were talking in another language. Still, it sounds impressive, particularly because you seem to know what you are talking about. I am impressed.

    By Blogger MLC, At 8:58 AM  

  • Thanks for visiting mlc. I acknowledge it's a little too techy, would make a lot of sense if you build a computer yourself and do some overclocking. :-0).

    By Blogger Karthik S, At 7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home